Are you an early riser or someone who hits the snooze button numerous times before finally crawling out of bed? It does not matter what you prefer, that is totally cool but today, I am asking you to try something tomorrow that will make an impact on your wellbeing & your day.
Today’s task is actually for tomorrow:
Tomorrow, I want you to get up early enough to see the sunrise, or at least some of the dawn. Set your alarm today if you need to. For today, make sure you sit and watch the sunset from somewhere tonight, to prepare yourself for the sunrise tomorrow, and get into bed early enough so you get enough hours sleep tonight
Once you do that tomorrow, consider trying this more often. Human beings are tied to the sunrise and sunset. Our bodies, just like the birds who rise with the sun and go to nestle as it sets, are tuned to respond to the rhythms of the sun as is rises and sets. In fact when small children and babies are having problems sleeping, it is recommended to get them up at the same time every day for a week or so as the sun is rising, and take them outside into the sunshine. This can help to reset their body clock.
There are a number of other reasons to wake up early and see the sunrise
- It is beautiful
- It means you can make the most of the entire day rather than spending half of it sleeping
- It is good for your mental health and productivity
- It is often a more tranquil time of day
- You can find more time for exercise and more time for relaxation
- There’s increasing evidence that early risers feel positive and more confident in their work, which results in long-term happiness
- If you get up early in the morning and get on with your day, it makes sense that you will also go to bed earlier
- You will notice the feeling of being tired at the end of the day, and if you respond to that and head off to bed, you will fall asleep faster. This means that you will set up healthy sleep habits and have improved sleep quality
- There is research to suggest people who get up early have less risk of depression than those who sleep away the day
If you don’t usually get up this early you may be tired by the end of the day tomorrow, but if you decide it is something you want to do more of, by the time you make it a habit, you will find you have increased energy, a more productive day and a connection with nature and her cycles