The weather has definitely turned to winter across most of Australia. It has been very cold and very wet in Adelaide. It makes you think of warm rugs, soaking hot baths and fires! Do you have an outdoor area you would love to warm with a fire pit?
They can be brilliant for toasting marshmallows, cooking your own damper and warming your fingers and toes on a crisp winter evening in the garden. Wendi shared this upcycling project on our Facebook page a while ago and it went a little crazy with the shares. It has just had a resurgence – so for those who missed it, I thought I would share what her clever hubby did to turn this old Weber Barbecue into a fire pit – perfect for this chilly weather, so you can make it yourself!
Wendi says her hubby is a bit of a clever clogs but he downplays it, and says anyone can pick one up off hard rubbish and play around with it – so he is generously sharing how he upcycled this old BBQ into a great firepit that can be moved around the yard and turned back into a BBQ should you so desire.
How to make the fire pit
- Get an old unwanted Weber BBQ
- Go to the salvage yards, or contact a local winery, or even look in a local hardware store – and get the bands off a wine barrel
- While you are there pick up some mesh
- Shape the mesh so that it fits onto the brackets inside the base of the Webber and use 1 inch L brackets on the top band to hold the lid.
- The beauty is, it all lifts out to revert to a Weber if you so desire!
Wendi says her hubby wanted something that he could move off the grass to mow, and to move anywhere they were sitting, to keep warm and toasty. Please check your local regulations for what fuel is acceptable to burn.
Easy peasy! So do you have an old Weber Bbq lying around you could make this with? We would love to see your projects so please share!